|Japanese air date||May 22, 2009|
|Next||New Club Member!|
K-ON! episode #8
The episode begins with Ui being accepted to Sakuragaoka High School, much to Yui's, Ritsu's, Mio's and Tsumugi's pleasure and joy. While they are celebrating, another girl checks the accepted students board, finding her name on it as well.
When they go to learn what their classroom for the year will be, Yui, Ritsu and Tsumugi discover that they're all in the same class, 2-2. Sadly, Mio is the only one of assigned to a different class, 2-1. Although she acts like it's no big deal to be alone, she is in fact sad and daunted by the prospect. Walking into her new class, Mio is petrified when she realizes that she doesn't know a single person in her class. This fear is alleviated when Nodoka appears, expressing similar relief to have a familiar face in her class after being separated from Yui. On the verge of tears, Mio asks Nodoka to watch after her for the next year, to Nodoka's confusion.
After the school year starts, all of the school's clubs put heavy effort into recruiting new members. The Light Music Club is no exception in desiring fresh blood, so they try to convince many students to join by spreading flyers while wearing animal costumes Sawako Yamanaka gave them. The feedback is anything but good. Ui and one of her friends are terrified by Yui in her chicken costume while Azusa looks on at the commotion they're causing skeptically.
After the day's lessons end, Ui and her friend Jun decide to pay the Light Music Club a visit. Ui introduces every member to Jun, but every first impression is immediately sullied by the bad habits of the band, such as Ritsu forgetting to hand in an auditorium use request form and getting scolded for it by Nodoka. After many mixed impressions, the club performs for them, but their performance leaves something to be desired. Azusa watches them perform in secret, deciding for herself that the club must not take things seriously. As Ui and Jun leave, it is pretty clear that neither is interested in joining the Light Music Club.
Back home, Ui and Yui talk about the Light Music Club. It is at that moment when Ui realizes that her sister has changed a bit since she joined the club, in that having a club has given Yui a purpose beyond lazing about and eating food every day.
Back at school, the club decides to put their last hope in the welcoming concert for the new students. Just before the performance, Mio's nerves get the better of her and she energetically rejects singing more than just one song, leading to her getting teased by Yui and Tsumugi. Meanwhile, Jun tells Ui that she decided to join the Jazz Club instead of the Light Music Club. Though disheartened, Ui accepts Jun's decision. As they go their separate ways, Ui notices that Azusa was listening to their conversation. As Azusa makes to leave, Ui requests that she join her in the auditorium to see the Light Music Club's concert.
The pair arrives just in time to hear Yui emceeing overenthusiastically on end, lasting until Ritsu angrily cuts her off. As the club recollects themselves and starts playing "Watashi no Koi wa Hotch Kiss", Yui totally forgets the lyrics to the song. Mio however is able to save the situation by filling in for the first strophe. Despite the snafu, the concert is well received and Ui notices that Azusa is clearly enthralled by the performance, standing on tiptoe to see the band better from the back of the auditorium.
Following their successful concert, the club waits in the clubroom impatiently for new members to join. When nobody appears, they begin to speculate as to why nobody is interested in joining them. Before they can give up entirely, Azusa shows up with the desire to join the Light Music Club. Elated by the news, Ritsu rushes towards her, "capturing" her for the club.
- Debut appearance of Azusa Nakano.
- Debut appearance of Jun Suzuki.
- This episode is adapted from Volume 1, Chapter 13 to Volume 2, Chapter 1 of the manga.
- The beginning scene of this episode is an original for the anime.
- Azusa's debut in the manga starts off differently compared to this episode:
- At the start of her debut appearance in the manga, Azusa had already expressed her excitement to join the Light Music Club. In this episode, however, she immediately expresses her skepticism toward the club, particularly its members.
- Additionally, she also mentions about hearing of the club's live concert during the school's festival a while back which was her reason for wanting to join the club in the first place. This goes unmentioned until the next episode.
- In the manga, Azusa also mentions her admiration toward the club's guitarist (Yui). This is absent in this episode.
- In the manga, only Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Tsumugi were present when they were checking their schedule for the new semester. In this episode, however, Ui is present along with them.
- In the manga, the animal costumes the club members were wearing were different. The costumes were a cow, a monkey and a koala, with the fourth being left unknown. In the anime, the members were wearing an entirely different set. They were a dog, cat, chicken and horse.
- Additionally, Yui was wearing the koala costume in the manga when she accidentally scares away Ui and her classmate. In this episode she was wearing a chicken costume.
- In this episode, Ui and Jun were wearing the official Sakuragaoka High School uniforms. In the manga, they were still wearing their middle school uniforms.
- Koneko No Ensou-kai - Intro
- Doki Doki Friday Night - New class placements
- Genki! - Club recruitment strategies
- Patrol Of Stroll - Animal costumes, the club meets Azusa
- Pinch Daisuki! - Sawako drags Mio down the stairs
- Obaa-chan No Tansu - Ui introduces Jun to the club
- Cotton Candy - Ui and Jun decide against joining the music club (for now...)
- Have Some Tea? - The club prepares for their performance
- Gatten Da! - Azusa joins the club